[ The Types Forum (announcements only),
    http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/mailman/listinfo/types-announce ]

I am looking for undergraduate students for a type systems-related Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF REU) this summer at Carnegie Mellon University. Due to NSF eligibility requirements, applicants must be a US citizen or permanent resident. Two possible projects are listed below. Interested students please send me their resume at jonathan.aldr...@cs.cmu.edu

Thanks,

Jonathan Aldrich

- - - - - -

DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE PLAID LANGUAGE AND ITS TYPE SYSTEM

Plaid is a new general-purpose programming language that has a type system based on affine logic, and leverages those types to build typestate and implicit concurrency into the language. In Plaid, a state is like a class, with methods and fields, except that the state of an object can change over time. This supports interesting new ways of designing programs, and creates new challenges for efficient implementation and for a practical type system that can statically track the changing state of objects.

We are looking for students to work on a compiler and typechecker for
the language, as well as involvement in the language design and the
type theory for students with the right background.  For more information:

http://www.plaid-lang.org/
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aldrich/reu/
jonathan.aldr...@cs.cmu.edu

IMPROVED ERROR MESSAGES IN THE FUSION PROTOCOL CHECKER

Our studies of industrial software frameworks has shown that the protocols to use them are extremely complex and easy for programmers to misuse. To prevent developers from misusing these protocols, we created the Fusion system. Fusion allows framework developers to specify the complex protocols to use the framework, using a type-based formalism, and an associated type-based static analysis runs at compile time to ensure that plugins meet these specifications.

This summer research project will seek to make the error messages of Fusion more understandable through visualizations and through task-directed error messages. Questions to be investigated include how to describe the heap configuration in which an error occurs, and suggesting fixes for incorrect specifications or buggy code. The project is a particularly good match for students who have experience with software frameworks, and are interested in a broad range of software engineering and type systems research. For more information:

http://www.plaid-lang.org/
jonathan.aldr...@cs.cmu.edu