[Rewritten and resent after moderation due to overlap with the previous message]

NII (the host organization for his trip) has expressed deepest
condolences to the family and friends of Professor Martin Hofmann

http://shonan.nii.ac.jp/shonan/blog/2018/01/26/a-researcher-who-was-supposed-to-participate-at-nii-shonan-meeting-has-been-missing/

which we share.  May he rest in peace.