> On Mar 20, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Neel Krishnaswami
> <neelakantan.krishnasw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/03/18 13:52, Zachary Palmer wrote:
>> The first is prior work involving typed function destructors other than
>> application.  Cloud Haskell seems close, as the runtime essentially allows a
>> restricted form of transmission of lambdas over a network and that requires
>> the closures to be serialized.   I can't help but think, though, that
>> there's some core theory I'm missing on the topic.  Is anyone familiar with
>> any work of that sort?
>
> I do not know what a "function destructor" is, but the theoretical
> account of the ability to send functions over the network that is
> closest to what Cloud Haskell is doing is given in Tom Murphy's
> PhD thesis, "Modal Types for Mobile Code”

In the same spirit the work of Heather Miller et al. [1] relevant. It
explains the Scala support for Apache Spark (no worries, the paper does
contain theoretical material), which sends closures to large sets of
data in large clusters of computers.

— Matthias

[1]
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-functional-programming/article/programming-model-and-foundation-for-lineagebased-distributed-computation/B410CE79B21E33462843B408B716E1E5