Hi,

On 30 August 2017 at 12:45, Oliver Lemke <oliver.le...@uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> In [1]: import typhon
> cannot connect to X server
>
> ...and your ipython session will close. This is an issue with matplotlib, not
> typhon. The correct workaround is to tell matplotlib to use a non-ui backend
> such as Agg before importing typhon if no Xserver is available:
>
> In [1]: import matplotlib
> In [2]: matplotlib.use('Agg')
> In [3]: import typhon

Another way is to add a directive to your .matplotlibrc.  For me this
is located in:

~/.config/matplotlib/matplotlibrc

where I have added:

backend      : Agg

and when I do have access to X and want plots to show up, I run ipython with

ipython --pylab=tk

or some other backend.

The advantage is that I don't need to put this directive in every
script (that may run in the background or on some sort of cluster) and
that I can still use those scripts for displaying my plots when
working interactively.

Gerrit.