Trejkaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Friday 14 April 2006 01:36, Piers Cawley wrote:
>> George Sudarkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > I keep getting this error. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I
>> > am running r977 (don't have time to update).
>>
>> Can someone please just dike the entire jabber notification subsystem
>> out? We'll start again from clean after 4.0. I'd do it myself, but I'm
>> stuck doing paing work at the moment.
>
> Alternatively could someone commit my patch which makes it all work?  It's
> been on the trac for quite some time now.

The main problem I have with the whole Jabber notification scheme is
that it's almost entirely test free. I prefer to view what's in place as a
spike, throw it away and start again test first with the benefit of
extra understanding from the first, failed solution. As I've explained
in my blog[1], I'm not totally averse (but getting more averse by the
day) to committing changes without patches, but only when those
changes are 'mine' because then I've at least got a chance of
remembering my intent.

Which is why I haven't committed the big podcasting patch either --
It's screaming out for a couple or three integration or functional
tests to stand as an explanation of what the patch does. Without that,
I haven't the faintest idea if what the patch does is the right thing,
or just what it does. Show me tests and you show me what you intend.

> The main problem is that Typo went with Jabber4R, which is buggy.  Replace
> that with XMPP4R, and everything works fine.

I just checked, and there's a licensing problem with XMPP4R as well,
which means we can't include it in the Typo distribution without
changing Typo's license, which I'm not prepared to do. And I'm not
prepared to add an external dependency either.

Give me a patch, with tests, that degrades gracefully (it can simply
turn jabber notification off) if the absence of XMPP4R and I'll jump
at the chance to apply it. Until then, I'd far rather see it taken out
for 4.0 rather than ship broken code.

> P.S. If you're going to throw out Jabber notification, please throw
>      out email notification too.  I only use the Jabber one, after all,
>      and can't imagine why anyone would want to be notified via
>      email. ;-p

Meh! I just use the feed...

--
Piers Cawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>