You're correct on Windows. There is an option to set the time zone 
automatically, but I don't know what percentage of users will have that 
activated. For mac/iOS/Linux/Android I expect the changeover will just work by 
default. I noticed that mac/iOS pushed out timezone updates last week. zdump -v 
/etc/localtime is showing a chance to CST on Nov. 1st.

I administer some systems, including older systems where I have to update 
tzdata manually. Noticing the switchover to CST on Nov. 1st is what brought me 
here, as it just seemed like an obvious error to me. Reading through all of the 
threads on the issue, I at least understand the reasoning.

As an administrator, if I started seeing CST in log files or the output of the 
date command, I would be - and indeed was - confused, and forced to go track 
down the reason - and I knew full well about the coming time change. Seeing -06 
in logs would not be confusing at all, I'd say it's already 50/50 whether a 
logfile uses 'MDT' or '-0600' for the timezone offset.

Of course, for the vast majority of users, this is a non-issue, as they will 
never see the tzdata abbreviation anyway.

-Patrick

Reply via email to