On 03/19/2015 02:53 PM, Karsten Merker wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 01:53:14PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

+Interactively booting from a specific device at the u-boot prompt
+=================================================================
+
+For interactively booting from a user-selected device at the u-boot command
+prompt, the environment provides predefined bootcmd_<target> variables for
+every target defined in boot_targets, which can be run be the user.
+
+Examples:
+
+ - run bootcmd_usb0
+   boots from the first USB mass storage device
+
+ - run bootcmd_mmc1
+   boots from the second MMC device

Should we enumerate all the possible device types, e.g. include
bootcmd_sata0, bootcmd_ide0, ...?

Hm, I suppose that depends on whether there is such a thing as
definitve list of all possible device types on all platforms and
how many elements are in this list.  Are functionally equivalent
devices named the same on all platforms, i.e. is a PATA
interface always ide0, or could it be ide0 on one platform and
pata0 on another?

The list is limited to the macros that are set up in config_distro_bootcmd.h. At least for the device types supported there, and the set of platforms which use that header so far, a particular device type is always named the same on all platforms.

I'd expect a patch that added a new device type to the header to update the list in the documentation.

In the text, perhaps rephrase bootcmd_<target> as
command name?

I had thought about explictly using devtype and devnum, but there
are device types such as pxe which do not have a devnum, so I
chose to use the generic <target> designation instead. I can
change that, but it might cause confusion so that a user would
try to use something like "run bootcmd_pxe0" which would not
work. I would therefore prefer the generic <target> designation.