On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:00:51AM +0000, Marcel Ziswiler wrote:
> Hi Olliver
>
> On Fri, 2016-11-25 at 16:30 +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> > This patch adds a method for the board to set the MAC address if the
> > environment is not yet set. The environment based MAC addresses are
> > not
> > touched, but if the fdt has an alias set, it is parsed and put into
> > the
> > environment.
> >
> > E.g. The environment contains ethaddr and eth1addr, and the fdt
> > contains
> > an ethernet1 nothing happens. If the fdt contains ethernet2 however,
> > it
> > is parsed and inserted into the environment as eth2addr.
>
> My humble understanding of device tree fixup is that it works the other
> way around (e.g. it is the device tree that usually gets fixed up). So
> the least I would advice for this patch is to change its naming but
> most possibly such code also does not belong into the common
> fdt_support implementation.

I don't really have the context of this patch, but in the DT at least,
you can specify the mac address using the local-mac-address
property. I guess we should honor that too. But I don't really know
how that's related to an alias. If the device is probed and the
property is there, use it, otherwise don't.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering