On 24/01/2017 16:46, Tom Rini wrote:
I had noticed that it's quite old indeed. I didn't mean that it's a
regression. I'm just puzzled by the commit. what is its purpose ?
why is SPL not using  CONFIG_SYS_MMC_ENV_DEV ?
Because in SPL we do not have both MMC devices initialized.
That is not always the case. Actually in spl_mmc.c the code requires us to register more than one MMC device to work properly when multiple MMC boot devices can be used (see spl_mmc_get_device_index()) I did the test of registering only MMC2 when booting from eMMC, the SPL fails because it can't find device 1:
Trying to boot from MMC2_2
MMC Device 1 not found
spl: could not find mmc device. error: -19

We register
the one we booted from and thus it is device 0 to U-Boot in this case.
I suspect the rest of the issues stem from this quirk, or something
having broken around this quirk.  Thanks!