Hi,

we've kind of run into an interesting situation recently, but might be of interest for various folks trying to reduce the image sizes.

our AM335x device has a limited amount of sram.. and the SPL tries to fit into it (a bit tricky given the restricted space we have on it on certain class of devices).

arch/arm/mach-omap2/am33xx/u-boot-spl.lds is a bit custom tailored around this.

Key in this is:
. = ALIGN(4);
.rodata : { *(SORT_BY_ALIGNMENT(.rodata*)) } >.sram

. = ALIGN(4);
.data : { *(SORT_BY_ALIGNMENT(.data*)) } >.sram

Now, our jenkins build system happens to use a varied build path and uses O= path. to simplify the details: mkdir /tmp/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb/cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc mkdir /tmp/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb/cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc/b

git clone u-boot
cd u-boot

git clean -fdx
make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- O=../b am335x_evm_defconfig
make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- O=../b all

depending on depth of the path, this would fail.. a little bit of headscratching later.. when using O= build system uses absolute paths, which translates to __FILE__ being absolute paths as well..

in u-boot, any printf("%s", __FILE__) makes u-boot allocate this file path in rodata.

So, depending on how deep the path is rodata size varies and ends up pushing .data out of sram max range.

we dont really care to put a print of complete absolute path anyways, and I am not really sure of a clean way to resolve this:
a) override __FILE__ with something.. -Wbuiltin-macro-redefined kicks in
b) replace usage of __FILE__ with something like __FILENAME__ as recommended by [1]

What is the suggestion we do?

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8487986/file-macro-shows-full-path
Nishanth Menon