On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Tom Rini <tr...@konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 03:31:42PM -0400, Rob Clark wrote:
>
>> This patchset fleshes out EFI_LOADER enough to support booting an
>> upstream \EFI\BOOT\bootaa64.efi (which then loads fallback.efi and
>> then eventually the per-distro shim.efi which loads the per-distro
>> grubaa64.efi) without resorting to hacks to hard-code u-boot to load
>> a particular distro's grub, or other hacks like setting up the
>> distro installation as live-media.
>>
>> The first seven patches add dependencies that will be needed later
>> in the series.  Patches 8-15 make u-boot work with upstream grub,
>> without relying on distro patches.  Patches 16-19 add missing bits
>> of the UEFI implementation needed to support shim/fallback.  And
>> finally patch 20 adds bootmanager support to avoid shim/fallback
>> after first boot.
>
> In concept, I am in agreement with the goals of this patch series.  In
> specifics, I'm going to skim around v0 and see if there's anything in
> particular that I feel I need to jump in and comment on at this point.
> Thanks for working on this!

There is one remaining regression in travis (well, actually two
identical ones) on vexpress which I am pretty stumped by:

https://travis-ci.org/robclark/u-boot/jobs/262841862

I cannot reproduce that outside of travis (although I am using distro
qemu).  I "bisected" it a few days back by cutting down the travis
config to just those two vexpress platforms and pushing different
stages of this patchset to a test branch.  It seemed to be
'efi_loader: refactor boot device and loaded_image handling' that was
triggering it.  Although that patch (or really any of them) don't
touch anything near printenv.  Possibly it could be a build size issue
with EFI_LOADER getting slightly bigger?  I tried updating travis to
use qemu 2.9.0 (which modulo any possible distro patches should match
what I have when I run locally on fedora 26), but that didn't help.

I'm at a bit of a loss about what to do.. I guess I can have a closer
look and see if we have any distro patches on qemu that look somehow
related.  I don't see how this can possibly be a problem w/ the
efi_loader patchset.  Any suggestions welcome.

BR,
-R