On 2018-01-25 10:30, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> Hi Rasmus,
>
>> It is sometimes useful to be able to define the entire default
>> environment in an external file.
>
> There is already available script for extracting the environment.
>
> Please look into:
> ./scripts/get_default_envs.sh
>
> Maybe you can reuse it in this patch?

I'm sorry, but I don't see what I could use that for. It seems to do the
opposite of what I want, namely extract the default environment and
store it in a plain-text file. I want to provide a plain-text file to
define the default environment.

It's quite likely that that script can be useful for generating a sketch
for the external file (i.e., build a U-boot as "usual" with default
environment built from various config options etc. etc., then hand-edit
that file to remove redundant stuff and add the things one needs). The
thing is, having the default environment in an external file makes it
much easier to put it under version control than having to maintain a
branch inside the U-boot repo just to tweak CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS.

Rasmus