From: Tom Rini [mailto:tr...@konsulko.com]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 1:16 PM
To: Travis Waters <travis.wat...@sdl.usu.edu>
Cc: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] SPARC support

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 07:28:14PM +0000, Travis Waters wrote:
> Hi All!
>

> For several years, my organization has built and maintained boards
> SPARCH-architecture processors (specifically Gaisler's implementation
> of the LEON3), and we have depended on u-boot as our primary
> bootloader.  But when attempting to update u-boot this morning, we
> were disappointed to find that the SPARC support was completely
> removed last March with commits:
>

> 936478e797a87bcd4e002bf70430b6f58584b155
>
> 54f302f1197a490c2c4e3564c698ecd090d5013b
>

> What was the reasoning for completely removing support for SPARC?
> What will it take to get it back in?

It was removed due to a lack of active maintainers.  Last year when I removed
it, I know a few people reached out to other groups in private to see if anyone
wanted to maintain it, and no one stood up.  I would be happy to have SPARC
re-introduced, so long as:
- It builds with a modern toolchain such as
  https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/6.4.0/ or
  https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/7.3.0/
- It does not add anything to scripts/config_whitelist.txt
- Someone is going to be active in maintaining the port and doing the
  driver conversions to DM as they need to be done.
- A real nice bonus would be hooking up QEMU and Travis-CI and test.py
  so that a basic level of functionality can be confirmed and tested
  every time.

Thanks!

--
Tom