Hi Ward,

On 02.03.2018 01:02, Ward Willats wrote:
> Greetings from California:
>
> I am a poor sinner trying to build u-boot from source on Max OSX. Forgive me.
>
> I have a custom MIPS board with a u-boot from a 3rd-party vendor and we'd
> like to replace it. The board is MIPS-based and runs OpenWRT/LEDE.
>
> So...I grabbed the u-boot git repo, stuck it on a case-sensitive filesystem,
> set up environment variables to allow the OpwenWRT MIPS cross compiler to
> work, wrote a "hello world" program in the u-boot root directory and cross
> compiled in on the command line without problem, and then turned my attention
> to u-boot.
>
> Thought it would be good to see if I could get something running in QEMU
> first, so
>
> Did this:
>
>   make  -j1 V=1 ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel-openwrt-linux- distclean
>   make  -j1 V=1 ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel-openwrt-linux-
> qemu_mipsel_defconfig
>   make  -j1 V=1 ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel-openwrt-linux-
>
> The first target it tries to build is "tools" using the HOSTCC (x86 LLVM from
> xcode, masquerading as gcc). It gets as far as AIS Image then poops out
> because it tries to use the MIPS version of byteorder.h, even though it
> compiling with HOSTCC:
>
>   ./arch/mips/include/asm/byteorder.h:70:4: error: "MIPS, but neither
> __MIPSEB__, nor __MIPSEL__???"
>   #  error "MIPS, but neither __MIPSEB__, nor __MIPSEL__???"
>
> Is the system expecting a native/host byteorder.h to be present when using
> HOSTCC that is to be discovered before the compiler drops into arch/mips? If
> so, how does that work? Or is this a corner-case bug?

Looks like a corner-case bug with LLVM. I think on a Linux system with HOST GCC
the header guard "#ifndef _ASM_BYTEORDER_H" prevents
arch/mips/include/asm/byteorder.h from being pre-processed by the host
compiler. Maybe with LLVM _ASM_BYTEORDER_H is never defined by not having
another byteorder.h in the include chain.

--
- Daniel