On 11/20/2018 02:42 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 02:40:43PM +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:

>>> So, I replied to the main thread earlier but no, we're not going to drop
>>> everything in 2 weeks, especially since there's a lot of false positives
>>> in this series.

>>> I'll admit this hasn't been our best notification.  But, the deadline
>>> was discussed about a year ago (and then no, I didn't get a build-time
>>> warning in).  Then around v2018.05 I said it wasn't going to be a
>>> removal type problem yet as we had a lot of boards to fixup still, and
>>> repeated that at v2018.07.  That did lead to a lot of things getting
>>> addressed.  But yes, we still have some large areas that after a few
>>> years still have not been converted, and that puts me in a hard spot
>>> too.
>>
>> Build time warning for a year would be good ?
>
> A year for this?  No.  New deadlines?  That's not too far off from what
> we've done historically, so yes.

Give people some sort of breathing space to get the conversion done.
Stressing people out by arbitrary deadlines will lead nowhere.

>> Maybe we need some generic Makefile macro to set those up.
>
> It would be nice, yes.  I think the problem here is (or, was) the
> complex set of options that didn't work.

The problem was many people didn't know about the conversion deadline or
simply forgot. And reminding them with a 100-patch series removing half
of the boards is like splashing icy water bucket in their sleeping faces.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut