Hi Marek,

On 2019/5/22 19:41, Marek Vasut wrote:
> Caution: EXT Email
>
> On 5/22/19 9:34 AM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I am not familiar with that, so might be stupid question below.
>>> Does it really matter?
>>
>> I would check it just out of curiosity.
>
> Yes, it matters, because there should be such API. How would Linux
> authenticate e.g. userspace binaries if there wasn't one, surely not by
> wrapping every single object into the custom vendor-specific container ?
> And if there is one, you can use it to authenticate raw binaries from
> U-Boot SPL too, e.g. fitImage blobs with an associated signature.

iMX8 AHAB uses RSA key pair for authentication, the on-chip thing we called SRK
is a array of public
key hash which is dedicated for AHAB. It is not a real key. The real public key
is in container.
AHAB will check the public key with the on-chip SRK before using it to
authenticate the image.
Seco which contains the crypto engine on imx8 does not allow to use the SRK by
user. No such API exported.
And the fuse of SRK is locked, can't be read directly.

Actually on imx6/imx7/imx8m, the SPL and u-boot are already using ROM HAB to
implement the trust chain, like
SPL authenticates u-boot, u-boot authenticatse kernel. We just follow this same
way on imx8, the difference
is imx8 needs container format for signed image. We prefer directly loading
container image than fit image.
If we pack fit image into container, obviously this will cause one more copy.
As a boot loader, isn't it better to have more image format supported? We don't
force to use container, just
set it as default. Users still can choose fit or raw image.