+Simon, Andy,

Hi Ryan,

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:52 PM Ryan Wilkins <r...@elevated-networks.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to get u-boot 2019.04 to execute the Linux 4.19.55 kernel from
> u-boot on a generic Core i5 with 8 GB RAM and having issues.  The kernel that
> I’m trying to boot will boot fine from GRUB so I know it works but starting
> from u-boot just shows “Starting kernel” and the system appears to freeze.

Which specific Core i5 processor are you using? And what's the U-Boot
target for that board? Is that U-Boot as EFI payload or something? Did
you set up U-Boot environment variable "bootargs" with Linux kernel's
command line, e.g.: I think you need at least specify console=tty0 or
ttyS0?

> my bootcmd is
>   scsi reset; ext2load scsi 0:5 0x04000000 bzImage; ext2load scsi 0:5
> 0x08000000 rootfs.cpio.uboot; zboot 04000000 0 08000000 ${filesize}
>
> The kernel bzip2 compressed file size is around 6 MB and the rootfs is about
> 125 MB.
> The kernel and rootfs are loaded in OK and running zboot finds the kernel OK.
>  The rootfs is a gzip compressed cpio with uboot wrapper.  I’m using
> buildroot 2019.02 to create the system and rootfs.
>
> You might be asking why not just go with GRUB instead and the reason is the
> company I’m working for has a lot of ARM-based devices out that all utilize
> u-boot of which I’m quite familiar with, but this particular project is based
> on the Intel Core i5.  It was decided to keep the system as similar as
> possible to the ARM-based boards to keep support differences as minimal as
> possible.  A number of utilities that we have already written are meant to
> interact with the u-boot environment and depend on it.

Good to know!

> I realize this is rather sparse with information, but rather than make an
> unnecessarily long email does anyone have any ideas of what to check or try
> or requests for more information?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
Bin