Hi Andre,

On 05.11.21 00:11, Andre Przywara wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 11:37:57 +0100
Stefan Roese <s...@denx.de> wrote:

Hi Stefan,

On 04.11.21 04:55, Samuel Holland wrote:
This series hooks up the watchdog uclass to automatically register
watchdog devices for use with sysreset, doing a bit of minor cleanup
along the way.

The goal is for this to replace the sunxi board-level non-DM reset_cpu()
function. I was surprised to find that the wdt_reboot driver requires
its own undocumented device tree node, which references the watchdog
device by phandle. This is problematic for us, because sunxi-u-boot.dtsi
file covers 20 different SoCs with varying watchdog node phandle names.
So it would have required adding a -u-boot.dtsi file for each board.

Hooking things up automatically makes sense to me; this is what Linux
does. However, I put the code behind a new option to avoid surprises for
other platforms.

Changes in v3:
   - Move condition to wdt-uclass.c to fix build errors.
   - Include watchdog name in error message.

Changes in v2:
   - Extend the "if SYSRESET" block to the end of the file.
   - Also make gpio_reboot_probe function static.
   - Rebase on top of 492ee6b8d0e7 (now handle all watchdogs).
   - Added patches 5-6 as an example of how the new option will be used.

Samuel Holland (6):
    sysreset: Add uclass Kconfig dependency to drivers
    sysreset: Mark driver probe functions as static
    sysreset: watchdog: Move watchdog reference to plat data
    watchdog: Automatically register device with sysreset
    sunxi: Avoid duplicate reset_cpu with SYSRESET enabled
    sunxi: Use sysreset framework for poweroff/reset

   arch/arm/Kconfig                     |  3 +++
   arch/arm/mach-sunxi/board.c          |  2 ++
   drivers/sysreset/Kconfig             | 11 ++++++--
   drivers/sysreset/sysreset_gpio.c     |  2 +-
   drivers/sysreset/sysreset_resetctl.c |  2 +-
   drivers/sysreset/sysreset_syscon.c   |  2 +-
   drivers/sysreset/sysreset_watchdog.c | 40 ++++++++++++++++++++++------
   drivers/watchdog/wdt-uclass.c        |  8 ++++++
   include/sysreset.h                   | 10 +++++++

Applied to u-boot-marvell

Mmmh, why u-boot-marvell,

Because I'm handling watchdog related changed since a few years and we
did not create a specific subsystem repo for this and I'm usually
using my "marvell" one for this.

and why did this end up already in master?
Isn't that material for the next merge window? After all this changes
quite a bit, for a lot of boards, and I did not have a closer look at
the sunxi parts yet.

I was hesitating also a bit. But since this patchset is on the list in
v1 since over 2 months now (2021-08-21) I thought it was "ready" for
inclusion now. We are at -rc1 and I think we still have enough time to
fix any resulting problems in this release cycle.

Do you see any specific issues?

Thanks,
Stefan