On 13/12/2022 15:22, Tom Rini wrote:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 03:14:43PM +0100, Neil Armstrong wrote:
On 13/12/2022 14:45, Quentin Schulz wrote:
Hi Tom,

On 12/13/22 14:37, Tom Rini wrote:
This reverts commits
51c5c28af59c ("cmd: pxe: use strdup to copy config"),
a5dacef7380e ("cmd: pxe: support INITRD and FDT selection with FIT") and
f723c2778cf8 ("cmd: pxe: reorder kernel treatment in label_boot").

As reported by Quentin Schulz, this introduces a regression with
previously generated and working extlinux.conf files.

The situation is much complex than that:
- Since the commit d5ba6188dfbf ("cmd: pxe_utils: Check fdtcontroladdr in
label_boot"),\
all the extlinux.conf with only "KERNEL /fitImage" don't work anymore.
Those are generated by Poky/OE WIC bootimg-partition bootloader partition
generator.
- With the changeset introduced by Patrick, this doesn't permit booting
those images, but it solves the issue by explicitly specifying we want to
get the dtb from the fitImage with "FDT /fitImage", which is smart.
- If we start generating extlinux.conf with "FDT /fitImage", those won't
boot on previous u-boot versions (as I reported in the second link shared by
Quentin).

But honestly, as of today we need to patch by reverting d5ba6188dfbf to
use extlinux.conf with fitImage, so I'll vote to keep this solution and
go forward and implement the change in the Poky/OE bootimg-partition
bootloader partition generator with perhaps a check on the u-boot version.

So, I'll post a revert for d5ba6188dfbf in a moment then, which of these
should I use for Link's

For reference:
https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/b7e891d1-d134-b489-eb2d-6125d4c7b...@theobroma-systems.com/
 for my worry
https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/f0dd213c-4a34-926d-3f3b-f2ed49bb9...@linaro.org/
for confirmation from Neil it is breaking existing extlinux.conf

Or something else?  And then to be clear, you're saying the 3 changes
here don't break anything really?

Yea no they will only break old u-boot with future extlinux.conf files with "FDT
/fitImage",
but without booting with fitImage as KERNEL is already broken since
d5ba6188dfbf anyway.

Neil