On 11/6/23 21:42, Simon Glass wrote:
+Marek Vasut <ma...@denx.de>
+Vagrant Cascadian <vagr...@debian.org>

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 at 10:33, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <
glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Simon!

On Mon, 2023-11-06 at 10:24 -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
So, I assume, I should just be able to write u-boot.bin to
/dev/mtdblock0?

Maybe, but you will likely brick the device if you have no other way
to write to flash.

The flash memory is actually on a daughter board that can be easily
replaced
and I have multiple of these daughter boards. It turns out that just
writing
the image to /dev/mtdblock0 works and I can boot the board into the freshly
flashed u-boot version.

However, the u-boot version 2019.01 built from git won't work while the old
2014.01 version that I copied onto disk from /dev/mtdblock0 does work when
flashing it to a second daughter board.

So, flashing works indeed like this and I can successfully start u-boot
after
flashing it into /dev/mtdblock0. Now I just need to figure out what the
difference
between 2014.01 and 2019.01 is and why the latter doesn't work.

In U-Boot, parallel NOR flash is flashed by cp.b into the parallel NOR memory mapped address , there are hooks which do the NOR writing.