On 18:06-20240112, Siddharth Vadapalli wrote:

> On 12/01/24 18:02, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> > On 12:17-20240112, Siddharth Vadapalli wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This series enables Ethernet Boot on SK-AM62 device.
> >> Product Link: https://www.ti.com/tool/SK-AM62
> >> User Guide: https://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/spruj40
> >>
> >> Ethernet Boot flow is as follows:
> >> 1. The BOOT MODE pins are configured for Ethernet Boot.
> >> 2. On powering on the device, ROM uses the Ethernet Port corresponding
> >> to CPSW3G's MAC Port 1 to transmit "TI K3 Bootp Boot".
> >> 3. The TFTP server and DHCP server on the receiver device need to be
> >> configured such that VCI string "TI K3 Bootp Boot" maps to the file
> >> "tiboot3.bin" and the TFTP server should be capable of transferring
> >> it to the device.
> >> 4. ROM loads and executes "tiboot3.bin" provided by the TFTP server.
> >> 5. The "tiboot3.bin" file is expected to be built using the config:
> >> am62x_evm_r5_ethboot_defconfig
> >> introduced in this series, which shall enable "tispl.bin" to be fetched
> >> over TFTP using "tiboot3.bin".
> >> 6. "tiboot3.bin" is configured to transmit "AM62X U-Boot R5 SPL" as its
> >> NET_VCI_STRING, thereby implying that the DHCP server and TFTP server
> >> need to be configured to transfer "tispl.bin" to the device.
> >> 7. "tiboot3.bin" loads and executes "tispl.bin" provided by the TFTP
> >> server.
> >> 8. The "tispl.bin" file is expected to be built using the config:
> >> am62x_evm_a53_defconfig
> >> which has been updated in this series to enable Ethernet Boot specific
> >> configs, allowing "u-boot.img" to be fetched over TFTP using
> >> "tispl.bin".
> >> 9. "tispl.bin" is configured to transmit "AM62X U-Boot A53 SPL" as its
> >> NET_VCI_STRING. The DHCP server and TFTP server need to be configured to
> >> transfer "u-boot.img" to the device for the aforementioned NET_VCI_STRING.
> >> 10. "tispl.bin" then fetches "u-boot.img" using TFTP and loads and
> >> executes it on the device, completing the process of Ethernet Boot on the
> >> device.
> >>
> >> NOTE: ROM configures CPSW3G's MAC Port 1 for 100 Mbps full-duplex mode
> >> of operation due to which it is expected that the Link Partner also
> >> supports the same mode of operation.
> >> Additionally, enabling "phy_gmii_sel" node at SPL stage will be
> >> necessary and is not added as a part of this series with the aim of
> >> adding the "bootph-all" property to its counterpart in Linux device-tree
> >> first.
> >

> > NAK - instead of writing all this up in the commit message, why would
> > you not spend that time updating the excellent documentation we have?
>
> I plan to document it after the feature is in. The reason for mentioning the
> content above is for explaining the flow in case anyone wishes to test and
> verify it. Wouldn't documenting it make it appear that the feature is present
> when it isn't?

So you are saying this series does NOT work! why are you sending patches
then? If you are introducing a feature and enabling it, ensure you send
documentation along with it allowing people to be able to actually use
the feature.

Nishanth Menon
Key (0xDDB5849D1736249D) / Fingerprint: F8A2 8693 54EB 8232 17A3  1A34 DDB5
849D 1736 249D