Hi Lukasz,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 5:48 AM Lukasz Majewski <lu...@denx.de> wrote:

> The case here is that I'm modifying the *-u-boot.dts{i} files only. In

The diff below shows that you are creating imx28-xea-1.dts and imx28-xea-2.dts
for U-Boot consumption and renaming the upstream imx28-xea.dts to imx28-xea.dts.

create mode 100644 arch/arm/dts/imx28-xea-1.dts
create mode 100644 arch/arm/dts/imx28-xea-2-u-boot.dtsi
create mode 100644 arch/arm/dts/imx28-xea-2.dts
rename arch/arm/dts/{imx28-xea.dts => imx28-xea.dtsi} (100%)

> other words, u-boot will not support features described in Linux DTS.

That's OK and this happens frequently.

For example, upstream devicetree may describes audio codec,
but U-Boot does not support audio playback.

Devicetree should be OS agnostic.

In U-Boot, we want to re-use the upstream Linux devicetree files 'as-is'.

Adding -u-boot.dtsi files is OK though.

Can you convert the imx28-xea board to OF_UPSTREAM available in the
U-Boot next branch?

> Hence, the rename of files (which would be in sync with Linux at some
> point) looks like not related to Linux DTS (as even after re-sync with
> upstream Linux those changes will not be in Linux DTS).

I did not understand this part, do you mean that Linux will also do the
imx28-xea.dts => imx28-xea.dtsi rename and will also have the new
imx28-xea-1.dts and imx28-xea-2.dts?

Regards,

Fabio Estevam