On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Tom Rini <tom.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Mike Frysinger <vap...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Monday 09 January 2012 14:41:07 Scott Wood wrote:
>>> Unless/until the toolchain can properly GC anonymous strings, I think
>>> finer-grained conditional compilation is the way to go.
>>
>> i think we should use GC when it works (we've found 1 case so far where it
>> doesn't), and add fine grained compilation when it doesn't (with a note with
>> expected working versions).  i think this is a bug in the linker and have
>> been
>> trying to make a reduced test case that i can post to the GNU binutils peeps.
>
> We've found two cases, at least.  Functions aren't being dropped out either.

To be clear,
https://github.com/trini/u-boot/commit/3a7c313125eff000ac73e38d220e5f9615c1abbe
shows switching everything to the normal nand codebase, but with a
gain of only 170 bytes.  The reason it's such an otherwise small delta
is that I added some #ifndef CONFIG_SPL_BUILD to drop out unused code
that the linker should have been dropping for us, but wasn't.

--
Tom