Hi all,

On 03/09/2011 02:21 PM, Detlev Zundel wrote:
Hi Heiko,

Maybe a way to go ... more comments?

Below a patch, which introduces a function, which checks for
"protection bugfixes", and if no bugfix is found the old code is
executed. Just a fast RFC patch.

bye,
Heiko

[...]

Can't we introduce a field "chip_quirk" in flash_info_t, and upon flash
enumeration check for the specific chip version and for example put a
CFI_QUIRK_PROTECT in it for this chip.  The core code can then check for
this flag and call functions appropriately.

In other words, why not introduce a generic infrastructure for handling
chip quirks that may need different handling for other functions also.

Cheers
   Detlev

Have there been (since the original posting) other instances of flash parts requiring quirks (like the original one introduced by Philippe De Muyter for the Numonyx chip)? Is there any ongoing activity on this or any other reason to suggest it might be necessary to introduce such generic infrastructure (like the one in linux mtd, the way I understand it)?

If that's not the case, wouldn't Heicho's original patch in this thread
(http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/86063/) just be good enough for the purpose?

Thanks,
Gerlando