I don't know if this will help but we have a similar problem on
UV10.0.17/Win2K.

If I run LISTU at TCL, I get the actual number of users on the system.
If I run USERS at TCL, it tells me how many user licenses UV 'thinks'
have been consumed.  (You can also run  ANALYZE.SHM -x  from the UV
account to get the number of licenses consumed.  USERS works from any
account on my system.)  Sometimes the number of licenses consumed is
higher than the number of users returned by LISTU.  I have been told
this is a known bug with our version of UV.

The solution given me by our VAR is to log to the UV account, drop to
DOS ('bin' directory of wherever UV is installed) and execute the
following command:
uvlictool clean_lic -a
It sometimes takes several issuances of this command to clean up all the
stranded user licenses.  Users are then able to log on (and we didn't
have to reboot or stop any services).

Hopefully this might be helpful to you in some fashion.

Good Luck!
Gwen Buck
Gaska Tape Inc.