Personally I'd recommend that you reconsider the architecture that you're
trying to build, rather than reconsidering the specific devices that you're
trying to fit into that architecture.  I'm reading square pegs and round
holes here.

Dumb terminals were designed when we didn't have anything better.  Do you
really want to hang many laserjets around on dumb terminals that cost less
than the printers themselves?  Do each of your end-users really require
exclusive access to a laserjet?  And do you really need to manually generate
a lot of PCL?

I understand the needs of smaller sites and that it's not easy to drag new
cables around for a new printer, etc.  These days a wireless setup will cost
as much as the $100 manual that someone proposed.  And it's much easier to
generate XML or HTML and export it as PDF, or use some other more text-based
methods that result in high quality printed output.

I'm just suggesting that you think outside of the box for a moment and
consider something different than what the site already has, rather than
just replacing old methods with new hardware.

Good luck,
Tony