In a message dated 7/5/2004 7:04:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I may be wrong, but I have a vague memory that in the very early days,
> multivalue databases (Pick?) didn't have record level locking.

Martin you are not wrong.  And it wasn't the "very early days" :) Well maybe
it was and I'm just a dinosaur ...
   At any rate, Pick did group locking, not record locking.  The entire group
a record is in was locked and held locked until the process was finished and
did it's WRITE or Release.  So it's possible the use of LOCK is related to
that.  Alternatively perhaps the program was trying to LOCK the entire FILE (!)
So in effect maybe it's doing a FILELOCK ?
   Mark you said that the LOCKs are assigned to particular files, so if I
tried to read another record from that file I have to wait right?  So this sounds
like a primitive form of FILELOCK to me.
   Will Johnson
Fast Forward Technologies