Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Nick Cipollina wrote:
>> Is anyone aware of any limitations to the length of parameter_value
>> in the addRequestParameter(request_handle,parameter_name,parameter_va
>> lue,conten t_handling) function.
>
>> CRITICAL ERROR! Notify the system administrator.
>> Abnormal termination of UniVerse.
>> Fault type is 11.  Layer type is BASIC run machine.
>> Fault occurred in BASIC program WS.TESTER at address 3ba.
>> Segmentation Fault(coredump)
>
> Are you doing a GET or a POST?  There is a limit on GET, but it comes
> from the HTTP specification, not UniVerse.  (And exceeding it is no
> excuse for it dying like that!)

I was waiting to see a post along these lines.  You're right that there's no
excuse for it dying like that, but I actually don't think there is a defined
limit for a GET or query string.  Here are some related factors.  Some or
none may be relevant here, but it's good to consider these things:

- The length of the query string in total is generally agreed to limit at
1024 bytes, but I don't think that's a part of the spec.
- There are occasionally limits on the size of the domain name, which is
included in the total for the query string.
- There may be no defined client side limit, but some browsers do limit
their upload byte count, and that changes with releases.
- Some web servers and browsers have a specific limit on the total amount of
data submitted in the header parameters for any given form, whether GET or
POST.  This may be release-dependent.  For example, (from (bad) memory) IIS4
allowed up to 2MB for headers, IIS5 brought that down to a default of 1MB
(?), IIS6 even further down to 2K (?).  I've seen individual utilities limit
this after data comes into a web server so that the application doesn't get
crashed by too much data.
- Some browsers have yet another limit on the size of the FORM ACTION
parameter.

Since the original inquiry is dealing with CallHTTP, this isn't a browser,
and since the error is coming from Universe the issue is not with the
server.  In this case it seems addRequestParameter has yet another limit
which the authors felt reasonable, but they didn't code a nice error for
anyone who tries to exceed that value.

One way around this sort of thing relies on you having access to the server
side of the Web Service: Code it so that data can be posted in pieces rather
than megabytes at a time.  One of the parameters passed to the input can be
"block X of Y" and the last block sent to the Web Service should get a
confirmation for all blocks in the return values.

HTH,
Tony
Nebula R&D