(Lurking Newbies:
I hope you are reading this thread. This can sting you really HARD!, as
Martin Phillips cites at the bottom. (meaning the "bottom" of this post
being where MP's comments are, not where you'll get stung.  Well,
maybe...)
The issue is this: the path to the index is hardcoded in the header of a
data file.  So if one uses OS-level, UV-unaware methods of moving files
around, the wrong files point to the wrong indexes.  Classic example is
copying (cp, xcopy, etc.) a live file to a test area and the test area's
version still points to the primary index.  Both live & test files
update the same index.  SET.INDEX command is the cure.
)

----

Glenn,

I always thought the directory structure idea made sense.  Sometimes one
wants to move primary & indexes to separate disks & controllers for load
balancing,  but that could be handled with soft links, the same as today
one can move the various INDEX.nnn files to different locations.

Practically (i.e. from user perspective) speaking, I don't see how
adding backward links would make things WORSE.  With or without such a
link, one MUST do a SET.INDEX to realign the primary and secondary.
SET.INDEX itself might be a tad more complicated, a 2-way street rather
than just 1.

cds