Hi

Has anyone got experience with UniVerse distributed files WRT performance?
That is, any idea whether a file distributed across 10 parts gives slower
performance than one distributed across only 2 parts?

(I ask because I am comparing both scenarios and, so far, the 2-part file
performs better (running a program that checks each record, but also when
doing a COUNT)  ...or might it just depend on system busyness at the time?
How the overflow occurs across 10 parts might also influence the results(?).
It's a test box so doesn't have a large number of users - around ten (but it
depends what they're doing, of course).  The 10-part version of the file takes
>5 hours to be checked by our check program, while the 2-part takes about 2.5
hours (although I'm running another timing test now, to confirm).  A COUNT
takes 26 mins on the 10-part, but only 22 mins on the 2-part.  Each
distributed file is 7GB, with over 3 million records (same records for both
files).  The file type and separation are the same, while the modulo is
relative to the number of parts.)

Thanks,
LeRoi

LeRoi Keiller