In a message dated 9/16/2004 8:06:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The problem occurs on a system that doesn't have source.
> The application was created, and cataloged on another system, the source
> stripped out and the object code stripped.  The application was moved to
> another system and we fixed the paths in the VOC and everything worked just
> fine, until Mr. Unassigned Variable showed up, and the debugger ate his
> lunch .  Or anytime a DEBUG statement occurs before or after a cataloged
> subroutine that has an invalid path on the last line in the .O object
> directory.

You cannot use a DEBUG statement in source-code stripped code.
The debugger wants to know WHERE to get the source from in order to show you
the line number you are on.  So if you're going to strip source, you need to
pre-parse to strip any existing DEBUG statements as well, and on new code on
that client you cannot use DEBUG statements if they are going to enter a
subroutine where the sub's absolute path has moved.  (Run on sentence alert!!)

A much much much better idea, is to ship the source, compile it AT the client
and THEN strip it out.   This requires hand-holding but would solve your
problemo.

There may be an option on the compile that completely removes the map table
and any other debugging tool.  This may remove the embedded absolute source
path.  You can easily give it a try, I never have needed it myself.

Will