Good point.  I experienced some pain with Windows NT and that is likely
where my misconception came from.

> UniData used (and still uses) standard libraries
> and standard system calls more than UniVerse does.
>
> You can see this on Unix by running a benchmark,
> where you'll see that UniData uses more "system"
> cpu time, while UniVerse uses more "user" cpu time.
> (Typically, UDT is 70% "system" and UV is 70% "user".)
>
> When UniData was initially ported to VMS, it compiled
> and ran okay on the very first attempt.  Of course,
> that was followed by a lot of VMS-specific features
> before the VMS version was ready for Prime-time,
> but the use of standard libraries made it easier
> to port UDT to a new host o/s platform.
>
> A contractor in Seattle who converted both
> UniVerse and UniData to NT said that UniData was
> easier.  In addition to UniData using more
> standard C libraries, the other reason for this
> was that UniData was already running on VMS,
> which was in some ways a precursor to NT.

Interesting ... was it Digital folks who went over to Microsoft or what is
it that makes VMS a bit of a precursor to NT?

> UniVerse being slightly more of a VM (virtual
> machine) means that UniVerse needs more os-specific
> code for each host o/s platform
> under which that VM runs.

Yes and my impression, although I'll believe I was wrong about it, was that
because UniVerse is slightly more of a VM, it shields the user-developer
more from the underlying OS.

> You can argue either way as to whether the
> additional platform-specific code in UniVerse
> leads to them being better "integrated" with
> the host o/s, but you can't argue with the fact
> that the architecture makes it slightly harder
> to port UniVerse to a new platform.

But easier for the end-developer to port their code from one platform to
another?  Just wondering as that was my perception, which might be
unfounded.

Thanks  --dawn