[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've heard some discussions in the past regarding limiting the number of
> files per directory to help OPEN performance.  Does anyone have any
> real-world experience on what a reasonable limit might be on a *nix file
> system?

Suck it and see :-(

It varies too much - how much ram do you have for caching, how efficient is the file
system you're using, etc etc. For example, on linux you'll probably find Reiser
outperforms ext2 by quite a large margin ...

It's probably still true that too many files is not a good idea, but machines today
are fast so it's less of a concern than it was in years gone by.

Cheers,
Wol