Brian Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:24:46 -0500

> I know that if I imbed HP PCL code into the print job for different
> fonts etc that these will print fine. However, for this particular
> job, a couple of logos are part of the document as well and we would
> like to be able to print them.

It is possible to print logos directly from UniVerse/UniData using PCL
coding - it's not very straightforward, however.  I developed code here to
print our corporate logo on all checks and invoices.  We use UniData 5.2 on
AIX 5.1, but I needed a PC to format the logo originally.  Here's an
outline of the procedure.

On the PC, I saved the logo as a Monochrome Bitmap, since it's the easiest
format to convert to raster data.  I transferred that file to the AIX
system and extracted the raster data.  I converted the data to a UniData
item that could be stored, and use a MATREAD to retrieve it.  My BASIC code
uses PCL Macros and Raster Graphics to output the logo.  I then execute the
macro as needed.  This is very efficient on multiple document runs, like
our checks and monthly statements, since the logo is sent to the printer
once, and a six-character PCL command reprints it.

There are a few glitches.  Between the multi-value delimiters and some of
the printer processing, I had to break the image up and send it in two
passes.  The first pass prints the left four bits of each byte, and the
second pass prints the right four bits.  This way I avoid sending values
that are reinterpreted by the printer.  I had to use macros for the same
reason.

(Hmm.. this looks like a good topic for a newsletter article...)

--Tom Pellitieri
  Century Equipment