Hola all -

Background: We're coming up to speed on a Universe 9.5 (on Irix 6.5 on a Challenge-L vintage 1994 or so, pity us) system that's been largely unmanaged for the last 4 years or so, so there's not a lot of institutional knowledge here. We're planning to migrate to RedHat AS3 and are working with the 10.1.4 release in testing.

One of our programmers asked what the consequences of choosing longnames=on in the install are. My understanding from the administration manual is that it will only impact us should we decide to go back to a system that doesn't support longnames, which I can't foresee happening, but that transitioning up shouldn't be problematic even though we already have a couple of truncated/renamed filenames in the current production system. I assume they'll remain truncated unless explicitly renamed.

Any thoughts about issues/gotchas we should be aware of in going from a longnames=no system to a longnames=yes one?

Many thanks for any input.

--
Peter Ivanick
Sr. Programmer/Analyst