> Anyone have any insight on SMIT for AIX and how to set it up to eliminate
> character translations?

Here are the settings I currently have on my main print queue.  We use AIX
5.1 with UniData 5.2 and SB+ 5.2.

To see these settings, do the following:
1) At the AIX prompt, type smit
2) Choose Print Spooling
3) Choose Change / Show Print Queue Characteristics
4) Enter the Queue Name
5) Choose the Setup Option

Under Option 2: Default Print Job Attributes, I have the following:

[TOP]                                                   [Entry Fields]
* Print queue name                                    1ACCT
* Printer name                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  -------------- Text Print Options -------------
* TYPESTYLE and PITCH                                 lineprinter  17
  Print QUALITY                                       600
  Print COLOR                                         black

  ----------- Job Processing Options ------------
  PAGE NUMBER where printing should begin            [1]
  Print file TYPE                                     a
  Pre-processing FILTER NAME                         []
  INITIALIZE printer?                                 no initialization
  RESTORE printer?                                    yes

  ----------- Text Formatting Options -----------
  TOP MARGIN (lines)                                 [0]
  BOTTOM MARGIN (lines)                              [0]
  Number of columns to INDENT                        [0]
  WRAP long lines?                                    no
  Add LINE FEED or CARRIAGE RETURN                    LF->CRLF VT->CRVT
* CODE PAGE of print file                            [IBM-850]
  TITLE STRING for 'pr' filter                       []
  LINES per page                                     [0]
  COLUMNS per page                                   [20000]

  ------------- Paper/Page Options --------------
  Page ORIENTATION                                    portrait
  Input PAPER SOURCE                                  tray 2
  PAPER SIZE override for input paper source          letter
  DUPLEX output                                       simplex
(single-sided>
  OUTPUT BIN destination                              printer top bin

  --------- Header/Trailer Page Options ---------
  SEPARATOR PAGES                                     none
  HOSTNAME for "PRINTED AT:" on HEADER PAGE          []

  ------------- Messages/Diagnostics ------------
  DIAGNOSTIC LEVEL                                    (normal) - print
job;>
[BOTTOM]

Please note that the item's I've marked with the "*" need to match your
printer.  I believe that the critical settings are Print File TYPE (a =
ascii), WRAP long line?, and COLUMNS per page.

Hope this helps.

--Tom Pellitieri
  Century Equipment
  Toledo, Ohio