George wrote:
> Bob,
> Why would you buy PDP.NET from Raining Data - especially
> since it comes
> with Unidata 6.1 and probably Universe soon if not now.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread but:

UO.NET is a U2 class library written for managed .NET code, essentially a
clone of UO that doesn't need to be called through Pinvoke - but it is not
in any way "rich" as far as .NET products go.  It is not a true .NET Data
Provider as is PDP.  It doesn't include native drag/drop integration with
VS.NET.  It doesn't support ADO.NET constructs.  It does not include
integration with dictionaries to support (essentially) drag/drop .NET
queries to your MV data.

You'll notice I'm not knocking UO.NET for what it does - I'm trying to pull
back the reins a little to clarify what it is and what it is not.  Just
because some library has the moniker ".NET" attached to it does not mean it
is a Data Provider or exactly equal to any other .NET-compliant product.
Anyone who says UO and PDP are the same, except for UO being free and PDP
having a cost, is seriously uninformed about exactly what these products
do.

I'm not encouraging you to go buy software you don't need, I'm encouraging
you to make informed decisions about what technologies you do and do not
adopt.  Use UO.NET and you will be writing a lot of code the old and hard
way - but it's functional and it's free.  Use PDP.NET and you will have a
much easier time writing many types of user interfaces, Web Services, and
other external/mainstream connectivity to your MV back-end - but the time
and hassle that you save comes at a price which is paid to RD.  As always,
the question comes down to whether you have more time or more money.

HTH.

Tony Gravagno, Nebula R&D
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Former RD DBMS Product Manager and other titles
Technical Editor, C#Builder Kick Start, SAMS Publishing
Technical Editor, various .NET and C# magazine articles
Author, Web Services and .NET series, Spectrum Magazine
Chronic pain in George's side
Call Nebula R&D for top quality C# education: MCT/MCSD/MVP certified
trainer