George Gallen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:27:51
-0500

> I'm trying to put together some labels using PCL.
>
> I was told to use 10point font. I'm using a font that is fixed,
> so the printer is ignoring the point size setting "esc ( s # V"
>
> I'm using the pitch setting instead "esc ( s # H"

Point and Pitch sizes can be used in combination depending upon the font
(e.g., Letter Gothic permits 6.5pt and 12pt 10cpi on some older printers).
Courier is not one that accepts both, and pitch has precedence over point
size in this case.

Typically, Courier 10 Pitch is approximately 12 point, and Courier 12 Pitch
is approximately 10 point.  These sizes used to be called Pica (10cpi) and
Elite (12cpi), back when people typed letters as opposed to the typesetting
they can now do at their desktops.

We use Avery 5160 labels here, which are 10 labels per 8.5x11" page, 3
across, 10 down.  I use the following setup strings.  The font [(s] selects
12cpi Courier.  The Page format [&l] (that's the letter "L") provides for 8
lines per inch, a 4 line top margin, and 80 printed lines per page.

(esc) (s0p12h0s0b4099T (esc) &l8d4e80F

My label settings for a SORT-LABEL command in UniData are 3 columns, 7
rows, 1 row skipped between labels, 0 indent, 30 columns per label, 3
blanks between labels.  The control string is the first line of the output
file.  Lines 2-8 contain 7 rows of label data, and line 9 is blank.
Subsequent labels use another 7 lines of data followed by one blank.

Hope this helps.

--Tom Pellitieri