One of my clients has roughly 75,000 records in their customer database. Oddly
enough, until now there has not been that great of a need for a lookup
function. Now they would like a lookup function that may go beyond the usual
elements of regular lookups.

First, there is a lot of mis-spelling or alternate spelling of similar names.
For example, K-mart is spelled K-Mart, K Mart and KMART. This is not a
situation of simple word lookups. There needs to be some intuition as well.

Sometimes there's THE INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTION COMPANY (example) whereby the
cust name is made up completely of the throwaway words. Other times there's
Children's Wear, Childrens Wear and Childrens Ware. Don't get me started on
the other mis-spellings of Accessories, Accesories and, you bet, Accessorys.

Soundex is a nice second plan but even that is dependent upon consistent
spelling of the words. TH versus HT on Clothing yields different Soundex
values.

So my question is if anyone has any insight on where to learn more about
solving this problem of such variable words. I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks in advance
Mark Johnson