All,

I agree with Susan. The argument that you can get at the data anyway from
the OS does not hold up as that is the nature of the environment. Users can
mv, rm, cp files today. They can also use binary editors to 'fix' hashed
files if they want to all, bypassing the traditional UV interface. To do
this IBM would just have to add a .Type19 file to the directory, and modify
the .Type1 - although why there is still a Type 1 file with its restrictions
I do not know. The .Typex file would contain the header information which
normally is in the header of the hashed file - where appropriate. Why we are
at it, why restrict dictionaries to be hashed files - I cannot think of a
reason why they have to be hashed - maybe someone from IBM can tell me.

Cheers,

Phil Walker
+64 21 336294
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gnosys Consulting Limited
11 Woodward Road, Mount Albert, Auckland 1003, New Zealand
DISCLAIMER:  This electronic message together with any attachments is
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy, disclose
or use the contents in any way. Please also advise us by return e-mail that
you have received the message and then please destroy. Gnosys Consulting
limited is not responsible for any changes made to this message and / or any
attachments after sending by Gnosys Consulting limited. We use virus
scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or anything similar
in this email or any attachment