Please see my four articles on Web Services and .NET, originally printed in
Spectrum Magazine from 2003-2004.  Magazines are here:
http://www.intl-spectrum.com/SPECTRUMMAG.HTML
HTML versions here:
http://............../articles/
I also have an article there called "SOAP for people who don't do
protocols" which is a follow-up to my "What are Sockets?" article.

In particular, Universe doesn't really play a part in Web Services per-se,
unless you use socket coding to make it into a socket client and/or server.
I'd recommend against that approach.  To make Universe a web service
client:
- Use mainstream tools like .NET, J2EE, or Perl to create a WS client to an
external service of your choice.  Web Service sources publish WSDL which
identifies the API to their service.  Mainstream tools easily create WS
clients to conform to the server side.
- Then create a pipe from your new WS client into U2, to function purely as
a data transport.  For this you can use UO, UO.NET, MV.NET, PDP.NET,
RedBack, or other tools described in this forum recently.

To publish U2 business rules as a web service, follow the same pattern:
- Use mainstream tools to publish WSDL and accept inbound WS requests.
- When requests come in, connect to U2 to run BASIC programs, run rules,
and build a result set.
- The data from U2 can be built into XML, ready to be passed out through
the Web Service, or you can pass back simple data and let your Web Service
wrap it properly prior to returning data back to the client.

I've written Web Services to/from MV platforms using .NET and Perl (not
together), and am prepared to develop end-to-end solutions for VARs or
end-users.

I hope that helps.
Tony, Nebula R&D
[EMAIL PROTECTED]