Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I will DELETE.INDEX ALL and recreate and rebuild them. It must have been related to something we did at the OS level, though I am not exactly sure what that was.

Thanks,
Josh

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Josh Marcus wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a UniData file have its index become

disconnected

from the data file? I have a file that used to have

indexes. I can

verify that because I have a LIST.INDEX printout from a

few

months ago
showing them. However, they are no longer in place. When I

run

LIST.INDEX against the file, it reports there are none.

I checked at the Unix level and there was still an index

file

(X_TX.ARCHV) next to the data file.

Not knowing what else to do, I tried to add one of the
indexes back to
the file. I got this:

CREATE.INDEX TX.ARCHV TXA.CAMPAIGN
"TXA.CAMPAIGN": can not create multiple indices on same

location

After that, the index showed up in LIST.INDEX.

Furthermore, LIST.INDEX

tells me the index is built, and selections on the file

behave like

there are built indexes in place.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on here? Should I

be

concerned?

The file in question is a dynamic file, if that is of any

relevance.

System info: UniData 6.0.11 on Tru64 Unix 5.1a.

The index for a dynamic UniData file is not stored as
X_file.  Instead, the index is stored in idx00n partitions
inside the directory that holds the primary and overflow
partitions.

Is it possible that someone converted this file to dynamic
recently and the index conversion part of the process didn't
go through properly - maybe because of permissions?  I've
seen scenarios where over zealous system administrators
imposed a 0111 umask which meant you could create a new
directory for a dynamic file, but couldn't subsequently do
much with it because you couldn't list its contents!

Anyhow, the X_TX.ARCHV is certainly not related to any
indexes on TX.ARCHV if TX.ARCHV is really a dynamic file, in
which case TX.ARCHV will be a directory at the OS level.

You CAN disconnect an index from a file but leave the OS
index files in place, but you either have to have some file
corruption, or someone playing cleverly (or stupidly) with
fileview.

I'd strongly recommend you check the VOC pointer for
TX.ARCHV and make sure that the one you are looking at at
the OS level is the same one being accessed when you are
inside UniData.  I'd then check if it really is a dynamic
file, and if so, then simply rename your X_TX.ARCHV as
something which will remind you to delete it after a day or
so.  Then run guide against the file to check for any
corruption, fix that up with fixfile, and then re-address
the indices question.  If LIST.INDEX shows you that there
really is an index, run guide_ndx against it and consider
doing as Colin suggests and DELETE.INDEXing everything
before CREATE.INDEXing them again.

Cheers,

Ken