Try this Bill. It returns a value for SUFFIX of AA1 for box 1, bag 1 and ZZ9 for box 676, bag 9. You could extend it to capture numbers also but would need to account for the gap in the ASCII character chart between upper case letters and numbers. This could be condensed into a single line; I used multiple for readability.

N1 = INT((BOX - 1) / 26)
N2 = BOX - (N1 * 26) - 1
SUFFIX = CHAR(65+N1):CHAR(65+N2):BAG

Regards, Cliff

Brutzman, Bill wrote:

We have a bar-code labeling challenge. We need to print hundreds of unique
serialized labels.

We have three characters available.

I am expecting to do something like

Master (pallet):  H42 2xxxxx MMM       H42 is our supplier ID.

Box # 1 H42 2xxxxx AA0 2xxxxx is the six-digit packslip
number.
Bag # 1 H42 2xxxxx AA1
H42 2xxxxx AA2

Box # 2 H42 2xxxxx AB0
Bag # 1 H42 2xxxxx AB1
H42 2xxxxx AB2

Z * Z = 26 * 26 = 676.  Thus, we could have up to 676 boxes.

Thus on a single packing slip, we could have up to 676 boxes each having
nine bags.

It appears that UniBasic has no built-in functionality (operators) to handle
base 26, that is, A thru Z.
base 36, A thru Z, and one thru ten.

I expect that it could be done, brute force, using arrays and equates.

Using Wintegrate, we write a txt-file from UniVerse to Windows.  BarTender
(Windows-based) prints labels from the txt file.

BarTender has some VB functionality that I expect we will be forced to use.

I am writing because I do not want to overlook other U2 voodoo which may be
available.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

--Bill