Millions (plural) of DB requests per day will require serious infrastructure regardless of middleware platform. Plus there's always the last-day-of-quarter discount with IBM. 8-)

With SQL Server, you also need one or two CAL's (Client Access Licenses) per named user (not concurrent). Plus I believe the more full-featured server versions are more expensive on the server side.

I am confident IBM is well aware of MS SQL and Oracle server and client DB licensing models since DB2 plays in the same space.

Leroy, thanks for providing some interpretation of current licensing terms and some scenarios. Could you please give us details (including pricing) for the forthcoming UniObjects pooling mechanism as soon as you are able? That, plus some detailed implementation scenarios, will let everyone on the list understand options in the near future.

Regards, Cliff

Bill H. wrote:

If I figure correctly, a hundred webshares cost $150,000 at $1,500 per
webshare retail!

Let's see...SQL Server unlimited site license (single CPU) for $5,000.
Sounds like this is an invitation to get off the U2 products...or do I have
this completely miscalculated?

Bill

-----Original Message----- from Leroy Dreyfuss

The answer here is RedBack. It is designed for exactly this purpose. We have customers servicing millions of requests per day on a hundred or less Webshares.