I created the best of both worlds. I have a preview program that gathers the
&HOLD& (PEQS) items and displays the first 5 non-blank lines. When a user
chooses an item, the program asks if its going to a TXT file or CSV. If TXT,
I simply copy it to that filename verbatim. If CSV, I run it through a
parser that makes a good attempt to find the columns (usually one or more
columns of spaces, with some allegience to RTRIM instead of just TRIM.)

The whole premise is for existing reports so having the key or other
datafields wrap is their problem that should have been reported earlier when
the output was just going to paper.

For new downloads, I have an English parser program  whereby you use a
regular SSELECT program to filter and sequence and then use a TCL command in
the form:

DOWNLOAD CUSTOMER NAME ADDRESS CITY STATE ZIP (C:\MAJ\CUST.CSV

I know that UD/UV have some magic in their query processor for redirecting
to a file, but 50% of my clients are not U2 and by installing my DOWNLOAD
utility, everything uses the same syntax (easier for me).