-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Key Ally
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 11:46 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [U2] IBM Licensing Requirement - MQ Series]
{Unclassified}

SQL Server fans,
    To be fair, UniVerse and UniData aren't just Datastores, they are
environments. SQL Server is a starting point. So, if you want to buy SQL
server, and buy or freeware a programing language, and buy or freeware a
scripting language, and buy or freeware an editor, etc... then you can
compare them. Additionally, SQL Server forces you to work exclusively in
first normal form, which is slower, creates bloated (comparatively) data
storage, and less flexible.
    U2 is certainly not the cheapest solution, neither is it the most
expensive. If cost is the issue, there are databases that are even
cheaper than SQL Server. I've used MyBase for some small projects (no
cost to redistribute). Still, after 20 years, I find that U2, jBASE,
OpenInsight, and all the other multivalues end up cheaper than cobbling
together tools that aren't optimized for each other.

    - Chuck "Been Flat, Didn't Like It" Barouch

Bill H. wrote:

>Cliff:
>

>>With SQL Server, you also need one or two CAL's (Client Access
>>Licenses) per named user (not concurrent). Plus I believe the more
>>full-featured server versions are more expensive on the server side.
>>

>A quick look on Google and you'll find an SQL Server Enterprise for
$2,000 -
>$5,000.  This product is very inexpensive.  It is an unlimited
client/device
>licensing model for a defined number of CPUs.
>
>Here's a pretty good whitepaper from Microsoft about the various costs
>associated with SQL Server, Oracle, and DB2.
>
>http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/0/a/10adfeca-48f4-4d89-949a-04
167d6
>54b40/SQL_UnderstandingDBPricing.doc
>
>This gives a small example of a price comparison:
>
>Tier   Features                   Sample Products                Price
>Free    Limited database           Microsoft SQL Desktop          $ 0
>       functionality, Memory      Engine (MSDE)
>       Limits, database size
>       limits, etc.
>
>Basic  Basic database function-   MS SQL Server WkGrp Edition    $  500
-
>       ality, Basic security      Oracle Std Edition One          5,000
>       Up to 2 CPUs               DB2 Express                    per
CPU

>Std    Full database function-    MS SQL Server Std Edition      $5,000
-
>       ality, Basic Management    Oracle Std Edition             15,000
>       Tools, Up to 4 CPUs         DB2 WkGrp Edition              per
CPU

>Enterprise  High availability     MS SQL Server Enterprise
$20,000 -
>            Scalability           Oracle Enterprise
40,000
>            High-end mgmt tools   DB2 Enterprise                 per
CPU