U2 are 'semi-compiling'   like  pascal and java...

That is the source code is parsed and transformed to a low level
- easely parsed - language that is interpreted at run time.

-- mats

Roger Glenfield wrote:

Isn't Universe/Unidata still using a runtime interpreter instead of generating assembler code?

David Jordan wrote:

The concept of having Basic.Net assembly language is one I am interested in
too. One could write the business rules in PICK Basic in a class and use VB
or C# to develop the GUIs. Best of Both Worlds.

I don't believe it is too complex; one of the open source PICK developers
may be able to adapt their compilers to the .Net framework to achieve this.

Regards

David Jordan