-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Hester
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 6:06 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] UV on Linux

Anthony Dzikiewicz wrote:
> I would assume that you like Dell support ?  My experience with them
> is that they went from once upon a time very good (8 years ago or so)
> to the pits.  Every time I call, I get transferred overseas to India
> and the conversation is almost unbearable.  Recently, I ordered an
> extra cpu for our testmachine, which is a Dell.  They cancelled it
> with out any notice !  When I called to reorder, they said I couldn't,
> because it wasn't in stock.  So, I have to keep calling until I get a
> 'hit'.  This is really a joke.  Luckily, our var deals with Dell and
> was able to get parts.

I've also had bad experiences with Dell support and sales.  We have a
couple of Dell Windows domain controllers.  They shipped one with 3 NICs
and one with 1 NIC (should have been 2 each), sold me a Dell rebranded
gigabit switch that wasn't compatible with any of the NICs, and sold me
Arcserve backup software with an incompatible 4mm autoloader.  When I
called support to try to get the autoloader to work, they eventually
gave up and told me Dell gives "best effort" support for peripherals,
and I'd need to work with CA since they make the Arcserve software.  We
have "Silver" level support.  I will never buy another Dell server.

We migrated UV to IBM xSeries 345 hardware running RedHat AS 3 last
year.  I've also found RedHat support to be so-so.  IBM's hardware
support is excellent, however.  We have a number of other xSeries
servers running both windows and linux.  The engineers IBM sends out are
knowledgeable and the response times are short.

As far as the UV to linux migration, it was painless.  We did have one
oddball problem that I just recently solved related to the linux CUPS
spooler.  We have a number of jetdirect connected laserjets that we send
UV reports to overnight.  Turns out that if the CUPS daemon is restarted
with jobs in the queue, any PJL commands within the queued jobs will be
ignored by the printer.  This was causing us a problem because the
laserjets' output trays would fill up over the weekend and the CUPS
daemon would also restart over the weekend to rotate its log file.  The
solution was to change the CUPS log rotation from weekly to monthly.

-John
--
John Hester
System & Network Administrator