I don't have a nice clean technical answer to this.  But I can share with
you anecdotal information:

PRC offers delivery of object or delivery of source with a trigger on the
'destination' to recompile delivered programs.

No one ever believes in delivered object code across even two identical
machines.  We often talk about it -- but there's a (perhaps unfounded)
universal mistrust that it will be correct.

Movements between Realms (accounts) on the same machine, yes, people often
take advantage of the ability to promote the object items.  But everyone
makes the same choice about moving source and recompiling on another
machine!

I think many of us are just as suspicious of the mechanism of moving binary
object code to another machine as we are of subtle differences in that
object code as it would be produced on the other machine.

But -- again, I'm just running off at the mouth here because I have
absolutely no technical foundation to share.  Some of my customers have a
clear reason not to trust moved object, some of them just have a gut
feeling.  But again, the final result is clear: no one believes in it.

It would be interesting to hear if others believe they have clear-cut
reasons for or against it!

Susan Joslyn
SJ+ Systems Associates, Inc.