This would be a very worthwhile enhancement IMO.

SQL Server calls this an IDENTITY column, and, IIRC, it can be any column (aka
attribute), not only the primary key. That is also a useful feature when the
record key contains useful data but you still need to have sequentially assigned
numbers for SOX or some other reason.

I'm thinking of an additional keyword for CREATE.FILE like "IDENTITY n" where
"n"
attribute number in which to place the sequential number, n=0 means the key and
this is the default. There are some implementation wrinkles to work out such as
the syntax of WRITE in basic when the OS will assign the key value; what happens
if a program changes the value of the IDENTITY attribute; and so on.

Steve Johnson
FXA Group Ltd
Bangkok

Original message from Stevenson, Charles on 6/16/2005 10:52 AM: